BELLEVUE, Wash., Oct. 29, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Apptio, Inc. (NASDAQ:APTI), the business management system of record for hybrid IT, today announced results for the fiscal third quarter ended September 30, 2018.
"Our third quarter highlights include 26% year over year revenue growth and expanding non-GAAP operating income to $4 million," said Sunny Gupta, co-founder and CEO, Apptio. "We had strong contributions from our strategic segment and continued progress with our upsells, further validating our land and expand strategy. The move toward a digital enterprise, enabled by cloud, is fueling the need for CIOs to adopt Apptio. We are excited about our recent acquisition of FittedCloud, which will add capabilities to our offering in the rapidly expanding Hybrid and Multi-cloud market."
Third Quarter Financial Summary
- Subscription revenue was $49.6 million, an increase of 26% from the third quarter of 2017, and comprised 84% of total revenue. Services revenue was $9.6 million, an increase of 27% from the third quarter of 2017. Total revenue was $59.2 million, an increase of 26% from the third quarter of 2017.
- GAAP gross margin was 69.5%, as compared to the third quarter of 2017 GAAP gross margin of 70.4%. Non-GAAP gross margin of 72.3% improved from non-GAAP gross margin of 71.7% in the third quarter of 2017.
- GAAP operating margin was negative 4.9%, an improvement from GAAP operating margin of negative 8.6% in the third quarter of 2017. Non-GAAP operating margin improved to 7.3%, as compared to non-GAAP operating margin of 0.6% in the third quarter of 2017.
- GAAP net loss per basic and diluted share was $0.10 based on 44.8 million weighted average shares outstanding, compared to GAAP net loss per basic and diluted share of $0.10 based on 40.1 million weighted average shares outstanding in the third quarter of 2017.
- Non-GAAP net income per diluted share was $0.05 based on 49.3 million weighted average shares outstanding, compared to non-GAAP net income per basic and diluted share of $0.01 based on 43.3 million weighted average shares outstanding in the third quarter of 2017.
- Cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities were approximately $258.0 million as of September 30, 2018.
Apptio provides guidance based on current market conditions and expectations and actual results may differ materially. Please refer to the company's comments below regarding Forward-Looking Statements. Apptio is providing guidance for the fourth quarter ending December 31, 2018 and for the full year 2018 as follows:
Fourth quarter of 2018:
- Total revenue is expected to be in the range of $61.0 to $62.0 million
- Non-GAAP operating income of approximately $1.0 million
Full year 2018:
- Total revenue is expected to be in the range of $233.3 and $234.3 million
- Non-GAAP operating income of approximately $7.4 million
All forward-looking non-GAAP financial measures contained in this section titled "Financial Outlook" exclude the effects of stock-based compensation expense, acquisition-related expenses, and amortization of acquisition related intangible assets. Guidance reflects the contribution from Digital Fuel which we acquired on February 2, 2018 and the impact of the full retrospective adoption of Accounting Standards Update No. 2014-09, Revenue from Contracts with Customers (Topic 606) on January 1, 2018.
Conference Call Information
Apptio plans to host a conference call today to discuss the results. The call is scheduled to begin at 2:00 p.m. PT/ 5:00 p.m. ET and can be accessed by dialing 844-233-0116 (passcode: 6180216), or if outside North America, by dialing 574-990-1011 (passcode: 6180216). Individuals may also access the live teleconference from the investor relations section of the Apptio website at investors.apptio.com . A replay will be available following completion of the live broadcast.
Apptio (NASDAQ: APTI) is the business management system of record for hybrid IT. We transform the way IT runs its business and makes decisions. With our cloud-based applications, IT leaders manage, plan and optimize their technology investments across on-premises and cloud. With Apptio, IT leaders become strategic partners to the business by demonstrating the value of IT investments, accelerate innovation and shift their technology investments from running the business to digital innovation. Hundreds of customers choose Apptio as their business system of record for hybrid IT. For more information, please visit www.Apptio.com .
This release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements include statements regarding our strategy, prospects, customer demand, application adoption, potential benefits from acquired companies, and our financial outlook for the fourth quarter of, and full year, 2018. Forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties and are based on potentially inaccurate assumptions that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expected or implied by the forward-looking statements. Actual results may differ materially from the results predicted, and reported results should not be considered as an indication of future performance. The potential risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ from the results predicted include, among others, those risks and uncertainties included under the caption "Risk Factors" and elsewhere in our filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including, without limitation, the Form 10-Q filed with the SEC on August 3, 2018. All information provided in this release and in the attachments is as of the date hereof, and we undertake no duty to update this information unless required by law.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
To supplement our condensed consolidated financial statements, which are prepared and presented in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles in the United States of America (GAAP), we use the following non-GAAP financial measures: non-GAAP gross margin, non-GAAP operating loss, non-GAAP net loss per basic and diluted share, and free cash flow. In computing these measures, with the exception of free cash flow, we exclude the effects of stock-based compensation expense, acquisition-related expenses, and amortization of acquisition-related intangible assets. We define free cash flow as net cash used in operating activities, less the purchases of property and equipment. The presentation of this non-GAAP financial information is not intended to be considered in isolation or as a substitute for, or superior to, the financial information prepared and presented in accordance with GAAP, and our non-GAAP measures may be different from non-GAAP measures used by other companies.
We use these non-GAAP financial measures for financial and operational decision-making and as a means to evaluate period-to-period comparisons. Our management believes that these non-GAAP financial measures provide meaningful supplemental information regarding our performance and liquidity by excluding certain expenses and expenditures that may not be indicative of our ongoing core business operating results. We believe that both management and investors benefit from referring to these non-GAAP financial measures in assessing our performance and when analyzing historical performance and liquidity and planning, forecasting, and analyzing future periods.
For a reconciliation of these non-GAAP financial measures to GAAP measures, please see the tables captioned "Results of Operations GAAP to Non-GAAP Reconciliation" included at the end of this release. We have not reconciled guidance for non-GAAP metrics to their most directly comparable GAAP measures because such items that impact these measures are not within our control or cannot be reasonably predicted.
of $839 and $413
of $25,394 and $21,924
© 2018 Apptio, Inc. All rights reserved. Apptio and the Apptio logo are registered trademarks of Apptio, Inc.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/apptio-announces-results-for-the-third-quarter-2018-300739635.html