PANAMA CITY, May 9, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Copa Holdings, S.A. (NYSE: CPA), today announced financial results for the first quarter of 2018 (1Q18). The terms "Copa Holdings" and "the Company" refer to the consolidated entity. The following financial information, unless otherwise indicated, is presented in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). See the accompanying reconciliation of non-IFRS financial information to IFRS financial information included in the financial tables section of this earnings release. Unless otherwise stated, all comparisons with prior periods refer to the first quarter of 2017 (1Q17).
OPERATING AND FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS
- Copa Holdings reported net income of US$136.5 million for 1Q18 or earnings per share (EPS) of US$3.22, as compared to net income of US$101.0 million or earnings per share of US$2.38 in 1Q17.
- Operating income for 1Q18 came in at US$143.4 million, representing a 23.4% increase over operating income of US$116.2 million in 1Q17, as a result of a 7.2% increase in unit revenues (RASM), which outpaced the 5.6% oil-driven increase in unit costs (CASM). Operating margin for 1Q18 came in at a strong 20.1%, compared to an operating margin of 18.9% in 1Q17.
- For 1Q18, consolidated passenger traffic grew 10.4% while consolidated capacity grew 8.4%. As a result, consolidated load factor for the quarter increased 1.5 percentage points to 83.0%.
- Total revenues for 1Q18 increased 16.2% to US$715.0 million. Yield per passenger mile increased 5.3% to 13.3 cents and RASM came in at 11.4 cents, or 7.2% above 1Q17.
- Operating cost per available seat mile (CASM) increased 5.6%, from 8.6 cents in 1Q17 to 9.1 cents in 1Q18. CASM excluding fuel costs increased 1.1% from 6.2 cents in 1Q17 to 6.3 cents in 1Q18, mainly as a result of maintenance events related to an aircraft lease return.
- Cash, short-term and long-term investments ended the quarter slightly over US$1.0 billion, representing 38% of the last twelve months' revenues.
- Copa Holdings ended the quarter with a consolidated fleet of 100 aircraft – 67 Boeing 737-800s, 14 Boeing 737-700s, and 19 Embraer-190s.
- For 1Q18, Copa Airlines had an on-time performance of 91.3% and a flight-completion factor of 99.8%, maintaining its position among the best in the industry.
- In April 2018, the company took delivery of one Boeing 737-800, increasing the consolidated fleet to 101 aircraft.
- Copa Holdings will pay its second quarterly dividend of $0.87 per share on June 15, to all Class A and Class B shareholders on record as of May 31, 2018.
FULL 1Q18 EARNINGS RELEASE AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD AT: http://investor.shareholder.com/copa/results.cfm
1Q18 EARNINGS RESULTS CONFERENCE CALL AND WEBCAST
About Copa Holdings
Copa Holdings is a leading Latin American provider of passenger and cargo services. The Company, through its operating subsidiaries, provides service to 78 destinations in 32 countries in North, Central and South America and the Caribbean with one of the youngest and most modern fleets in the industry, consisting of 101 aircraft: 82 Boeing 737NG aircraft and 19 EMBRAER-190s. For more information visit: www.copa.com .
CONTACT: Copa Holdings S.A.
Ph: 011 507 304-2774
www.copa.com (IR section)
This release includes "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements are based on current plans, estimates and expectations, and are not guarantees of future performance. They are based on management's expectations that involve a number of business risks and uncertainties, any of which could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed in or implied by the forward-looking statements. The Company undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statement. The risks and uncertainties relating to the forward-looking statements in this release are among those disclosed in Copa Holdings' filed disclosure documents and are, therefore, subject to change without prior notice.
Copa Holdings, S.A.
NON-IFRS FINANCIAL MEASURE RECONCILIATION
This press release includes the following non IFRS financial measures: CASM Excluding Fuel, Adjusted Net Income and Adjusted EPS. This supplemental information is presented because we believe it is a useful indicator of our operating performance and is useful in comparing our performance with other companies in the airline industry. These measures should not be considered in isolation, and should be considered together with comparable IFRS measures, in particular operating income and net income. The following is a reconciliation of these non-IFRS financial measures to the comparable IFRS measures:
View original content:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/copa-holdings-reports-net-income-of-136-5-million-and-eps-of-3-22-for-the-first-quarter-of-2018--300645626.html
SOURCE Copa Holdings, S.A.