GOLDMAN SACHS REPORTS 2016 EARNINGS PER COMMON SHARE OF $16.29 AND FOURTH QUARTER EARNINGS PER COMMON SHARE OF $5.08|
Wednesday, January 18, 2017 7:35:00 AM ET
NEW YORK, January 18, 2017 - The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (NYSE: GS) today reported net
revenues of $30.61 billion and net earnings of $7.40 billion for the year ended December 31, 2016.
Diluted earnings per common share were $16.29 compared with $12.14 for the year ended
December 31, 2015. Return on average common shareholdersˇ¦ equity (ROE) (1) was 9.4% for 2016.
Fourth quarter net revenues were $8.17 billion and net earnings were $2.35 billion. Diluted earnings
per common share were $5.08 compared with $1.27 for the fourth quarter of 2015 and $4.88 for the
third quarter of 2016. Annualized ROE (1) was 11.4% for the fourth quarter of 2016.
- Goldman Sachs ranked first in worldwide announced and completed mergers and acquisitions for
the year. (2)
- Debt underwriting produced record net revenues of $2.45 billion for the year.
- „h Assets under supervision (3) increased 10% from a year ago to a record $1.38 trillion, with net
inflows in long-term assets under supervision of $42 billion during 2016.
- „h Total operating expenses were the lowest since 2008, including the lowest non-compensation
expenses since 2007.
- „h Book value per common share increased by 6.7% during the year to $182.47. Basic shares (4)
decreased by 6.1% during the year to a record low of 414.8 million.
- „h The firm maintained strong capital ratios and liquidity. The firmˇ¦s Common Equity Tier 1 ratio (5) as
calculated in accordance with the Standardized approach and the Basel III Advanced approach
was 14.5% (6) and 13.1% (6), respectively
For the full press release, please go here .