NEW YORK, May 9, 2018 /PRNewswire/ --
FIRST QUARTER HIGHLIGHTS:
- Adopted ASC 606 effective January 1, 2018 using the Modified Retrospective Method, therefore reported results are not comparable with the prior period (which continues to be reported under ASC 605)
- Revenue of $327.0 million versus $344.7 million a year ago (as reported under ASC 605); excluding the impact of the adoption of ASC 606, revenue was $348.2 million, an increase of 1.0%
- Organic revenue growth of 1.0%
- Net loss attributable to MDC Partners common shareholders of $31.4 million versus a loss of $11.1 million a year ago (as reported under ASC 605); excluding the impact from the adoption of ASC 606, Net loss attributable to MDC Partners common shareholders was $27.0 million
- Adjusted EBITDA of $7.8 million versus $35.8 million a year ago (as reported under ASC 605); excluding the impact of the adoption of ASC 606, Adjusted EBITDA was $13.9 million
- Net New Business wins totaled $19.9 million
- Updating 2018 financial guidance
(NASDAQ: MDCA) – MDC Partners Inc. ("MDC Partners" or the "Company") today announced financial results for the three months ended March 31, 2018.
Scott Kauffman, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of MDC Partners, said, "While the prospects for the business in 2018 were strong coming into the year, the performance in March and April was disappointing. Apart from the impact of the new accounting rules, the combination of select client cut backs and a slower conversion of our new business pipeline has led us to update our 2018 financial targets. The pipeline of new business opportunities is substantial and our partner agencies are well positioned which we expect will support a return to better top line growth in the coming quarters."
David Doft, Chief Financial Officer of MDC Partners, said, "Given the significant costs related to the adoption of ASC 606, our investments in growth initiatives, combined with elevated severance, we expected a muted first quarter performance from a profitability standpoint. The first quarter was also impacted by a shift in timing of revenue, which had a direct impact on the bottom line. Even with this expectation, the underlying performance is leading us to update our outlook to incorporate the increased risk that has emerged. We now expect organic revenue growth of 1% to 3% and 0 to 40 basis points of margin expansion, including a 60 basis points favorable impact on our margins from the accounting change that was not in our initial expectation."
Adoption of ASC 606
Effective January 1, 2018, we adopted ASC Topic 606, "Revenue from Contracts with Customers" (ASC 606). In accordance with the new revenue accounting standard, we were required to change certain aspects of our accounting policy as it relates to performance incentives, non-refundable retainer fees, and certain third-party pass-through and out-of-pocket costs. ASC 606 was applied using the modified retrospective method, with the cumulative effect of the initial adoption being recognized as an adjustment to opening retained earnings at January 1, 2018 for contracts that were not completed as of that date, and then we report all future periods under the new policy. Comparative prior periods have not been restated and continue to be reported under the historical accounting standards and policies in effect for those periods.
As a result of the adoption of ASC 606, our first quarter 2018 financial performance is not directly comparable with last year. We have therefore provided additional disclosure to assist investors in reconciling the two accounting standards, including updating the definition of the Non-GAAP metric Organic Revenue to exclude the impact of the change in accounting standard and the provision of additional schedules which shows the impact of the adoption of ASC 606 on our GAAP and Non-GAAP performance metrics. See schedules 2 and 3.
First Quarter 2018 Financial Results
Revenue for the first quarter of 2018 was $327.0 million versus $344.7 million for the first quarter of 2017. The decline in revenue was primarily due the adoption of ASC 606, which reduced revenue by $21.3 million, or 6.2%. The effect of foreign exchange was positive 1.6%, the impact of non-GAAP acquisitions (dispositions), net was negative 1.5%, and organic revenue growth was 1.0%. Organic revenue growth was favorably impacted by 340 basis points from increased billable pass-through costs incurred on clients' behalf from certain of our partner firms acting as principal.
Net loss attributable to MDC Partners common shareholders for the first quarter of 2018 was $31.4 million versus a loss of $11.1 million for the first quarter of 2017. Diluted loss per share attributable to MDC Partners common shareholders for the first quarter of 2018 was ($0.56) versus a loss of ($0.21) per share for the first quarter of 2017. The impact of the adoption of ASC 606 was an increase in net loss attributable to MDC Partners common shareholders of $4.4 million, or $0.08 per share.
Adjusted EBITDA for the first quarter of 2018 was $7.8 million versus $35.8 million for the first quarter of 2017. The impact of the adoption of ASC 606 was a reduction of $6.1 million. Excluding the impact of the adoption of ASC 606, Adjusted EBITDA was $13.9 million with margins of 4.0%.
2018 financial guidance is revised as follows:
Management will host a conference call on Wednesday, May 9, 2018, at 4:30 p.m. (ET) to discuss results. The conference call will be accessible by dialing 1-412-902-4266 or toll free 1-888-346-6216. An investor presentation has been posted on our website at www.mdc-partners.com and may be referred to during the conference call.
A recording of the conference call will be available one hour after the call until 12:00 a.m. (ET), May 16, 2018, by dialing 1-412-317-0088 or toll free 1-877-344-7529 (passcode 10118999), or by visiting our website at www.mdc-partners.com .
About MDC Partners Inc.
MDC Partners is one of the fastest-growing and most influential marketing and communications networks in the world. Its 50+ advertising, public relations, branding, digital, social and event marketing agencies are responsible for some of the most memorable and engaging campaigns for the world's most respected brands. As "The Place Where Great Talent Lives," MDC Partners is known for its unique partnership model, empowering the most entrepreneurial and innovative talent to drive competitive advantage and business growth for clients. By leveraging technology, data analytics, insights, and strategic consulting solutions, MDC Partners drives measurable results and optimizes return on marketing investment for over 1,700 clients worldwide. For more information about MDC Partners and its partner firms, visit our website at www.mdc-partners.com and follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/mdcpartners .
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
In addition to its reported results, MDC Partners has included in this earnings release certain financial results that the Securities and Exchange Commission defines as "non-GAAP financial measures." Management believes that such non-GAAP financial measures, when read in conjunction with the Company's reported results, can provide useful supplemental information for investors analyzing period to period comparisons of the Company's results. Such non-GAAP financial measures include the following:
(1) Organic Revenue: "Organic revenue growth" and "organic revenue decline" refer to the positive or negative results, respectively, of subtracting both the foreign exchange and acquisition (disposition) components from total revenue growth, excluding the impact of adopting ASC 606. The acquisition (disposition) component is calculated by aggregating prior period revenue for any acquired businesses, less the prior period revenue of any businesses that were disposed of during the current period. The organic revenue growth (decline) component reflects the constant currency impact of (a) the change in revenue of the partner firms which the Company has held throughout each of the comparable periods presented, and (b) "non-GAAP acquisitions (dispositions), net". Non-GAAP acquisitions (dispositions), net consists of (i) for acquisitions during the current year, the revenue effect from such acquisition as if the acquisition had been owned during the equivalent period in the prior year and (ii) for acquisitions during the previous year, the revenue effect from such acquisitions as if they had been owned during that entire year (or same period as the current reportable period), taking into account their respective pre-acquisition revenues for the applicable periods, and (iii) for dispositions, the revenue effect from such disposition as if they had been disposed of during the equivalent period in the prior year.
(2) Net New Business: Estimate of annualized revenue for new wins less annualized revenue for losses incurred in the period.
(3) Adjusted EBITDA: Adjusted EBITDA is a non-GAAP measure that represents operating profit plus depreciation and amortization, stock-based compensation, deferred acquisition consideration adjustments, distributions from non-consolidated affiliates, and other items.
Included in this earnings release are tables reconciling MDC Partners' reported results to arrive at certain of these non-GAAP financial measures. We are unable to reconcile our projected 2018 organic revenue growth to the corresponding GAAP measure because we are unable to predict the 2018 impact of foreign exchange due to the unpredictability of future changes in foreign exchange rates and because we are unable to predict the occurrence or impact of any acquisitions, dispositions, or other potential changes. We are unable to reconcile our projected 2018 increase in Adjusted EBITDA margin to the corresponding GAAP measure because the amount and timing of many future charges that impact these measures (such as amortization of future acquired intangible assets, foreign exchange transaction gains or losses, impairment charges, provision or benefit for income taxes, and certain assumptions used in the calculation of deferred acquisition consideration) are variable, uncertain, or out of our control and therefore cannot be reasonably predicted without unreasonable effort, if at all. As a result, we are unable to provide reconciliations of these measures. In addition, we believe such reconciliations could imply a degree of precision that might be confusing or misleading to investors.
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, which are subject to the "safe harbor" created by those sections. Statements in this press release that are not historical facts, including without limitation statements about the Company's beliefs and expectations, earnings guidance, recent business and economic trends, potential acquisitions, and estimates of amounts for redeemable noncontrolling interests and deferred acquisition consideration, constitute forward-looking statements. Words such as "estimates", "expects", "contemplates", "will", "anticipates", "projects", "plans", "intends", "believes", "forecasts", "may", "should", and variations of such words or similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. These statements are based on current plans, estimates and projections, and are subject to change based on a number of factors, including those outlined in this section. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date they are made, and the Company undertakes no obligation to update publicly any of them in light of new information or future events, if any.
Forward-looking statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. A number of important factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those contained in any forward-looking statements. Such risk factors include, but are not limited to, the following:
- risks associated with severe effects of international, national and regional economic conditions;
- the Company's ability to attract new clients and retain existing clients;
- the spending patterns and financial success of the Company's clients;
- the Company's ability to retain and attract key employees;
- the Company's ability to remain in compliance with its debt agreements and the Company's ability to finance its contingent payment obligations when due and payable, including but not limited to those relating to redeemable noncontrolling interests and deferred acquisition consideration;
- the successful completion and integration of acquisitions which complement and expand the Company's business capabilities, and the potential impact of one or more asset sales;
- foreign currency fluctuations; and
- risks associated with the ongoing Canadian class litigation claim.
The Company's business strategy includes ongoing efforts to engage in acquisitions of ownership interests in entities in the marketing communications services industry. The Company intends to finance these acquisitions by using available cash from operations, from borrowings under its credit facility and through incurrence of bridge or other debt financing, any of which may increase the Company's leverage ratios, or by issuing equity, which may have a dilutive impact on existing shareholders proportionate ownership. At any given time, the Company may be engaged in a number of discussions that may result in one or more acquisitions. These opportunities require confidentiality and may involve negotiations that require quick responses by the Company. Although there is uncertainty that any of these discussions will result in definitive agreements or the completion of any transactions, the announcement of any such transaction may lead to increased volatility in the trading price of the Company's securities.
Investors should carefully consider these risk factors and the additional risk factors outlined in more detail in the Company's 2017 Annual Report on Form 10-K under the caption "Risk Factors" and in the Company's other SEC filings.
CONTACT: Matt Chesler, CFA
SVP, Investor Relations and Finance
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mdc-partners-inc-reports-results-for-the-three-months-ended-march-31-2018-300645768.html
SOURCE MDC Partners Inc.